Tell me. How many hamburger buns have to perish – stuffed in a corner of somebody’s cold fridge or freezer? What of the tortillas!? When they have no purpose but to dry out in a corner somewhere; when there’s no filling left to hold or contain. The remaining buns and tortillas don’t stand a chance when the tides of dinnertime change. At least that’s how it is in my house. There’s only two people in my household and, more often than not, we end up with too many hamburger buns or tortillas. Or! I’ll buy new buns because I forgot we already had some at home. It’s wasteful and it’s an issue I try to prevent when meal planning or the week.
Enter these Cheeseburger Enchiladas. We ate them with forks! We ate them fast! WE LEFT NO TORTILLAS BEHIND! This meal is the best of both worlds – one part enchilada, one part cheeseburger, and one whole plate full of yum!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 10 soft taco flour tortillas
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded chddar divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef, drain; add Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and mustard to ground beef and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and sliced onions to pan and saute until onions just start becoming limp.
- Spread ¼ cup ground beef mixture down the center of one tortilla, top with onion, roll it to contain the filling, and place seam side down in 9x13 greased casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Fry bacon, crumble it, and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook for two minutes. Whisk in milk and one cup of cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle remaining cheese and bacon over enchiladas.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard, pickles, and enjoy!