Hambone and Cabbage Soup
Cabbage, onions, mushrooms swimming in a rich, ham and tomato broth—this hambone and cabbage soup is comfort food in a jiffy!
The Instant Pot Changed My Life
I’m finally ready to accept that. This little piece of equipment—this souped up crockpot—it just makes cooking so much easier but especially when it comes to foods that need to be stewed for a long time.
We picked up an $8 spiral ham—yes, you read that right, a ten pound spiral ham for eight bucks!!! The last ham sale before summer. It was delicious. But then I had this big honkin’ hambone leftover. And then I bought a head of cabbage. And then……
I put them both inside of my Instant Pot with onions, mushrooms, roasted garlic, and tomatoes and this amazing, rich soup was born! Yes, it is the middle of summer and cabbage soup isn’t at the top of everyone’s menus but bookmark the recipe for later—you won’t regret it!
What You Need To Make Hambone and Cabbage Soup:
◑Roasted Garlic – Click here to learn how to roast garlic!
◑Spicy Brown Mustard
How To Make This Hambone and Cabbage Soup
Step One – Add hambone and chicken broth to instant pot; cook for 45 minutes on high. Pull hambone out, let cool, and then pull off and chop any meat, add meat back into instant pot.
Step two—Add remaining ingredients to instant pot and cook for 30 minutes on high.
Step three—Enjoy! It’s really that simple!
Instant Pot Hambone And Cabbage Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 hambone
- 1 head cabbage sliced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 heads garlic roasted (directions in blog post)
- 32 oz chicken broth unsalted
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 15 oz no salt tomato sauce (+ 1 can of water)
- 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Add hambone and chicken broth to instant pot; cook for 45 minutes on high. Pull hambone out, let cool, and then pull off and chop any meat, add meat back into instant pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to instant pot and cook for 30 minutes on high.